Marketing director and content strategist with 15 years of experience in marketing and communications for nonprofits and higher education.
Master of Business Administration · 2014
Southern New Hampshire University
Bachelor of Arts in Communication · 2002
University of Michigan-Flint
Director of Marketing · 2015 – present
FLINT & GENESEE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
- Directs brand and marketing strategy to support Chamber membership, economic development for the city and county, youth and talent programming, business training, and destination marketing for Genesee County as a whole.
- Manages marketing staff, independent contractors, and agency contracts.
- Oversees marketing and advertising through the website, traditional media, print publications, electronic communications, digital advertising, and search engine marketing.
- Directs production of the Flint & Genesee Visitors Guide and Community Profile, member directories and publications, and the Chamber’s business magazine.
- Leads marketing and communications for Michigan’s I-69 Thumb Region, a seven-county economic development collaborative.
Content Strategist · 2013 – 2015
Social Media Specialist · 2009 – 2013
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN-FLINT
- Managed the university’s brand online, telling UM-Flint’s story through web and social channels; developed and implemented strategy for all primary university social networks, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, and student blogs; set metrics and analyzed data for web and social media activity.
- Created strategic content plans for campus departments for web and social media.
- Convened a social communicators group to align social media strategy and messaging across a decentralized campus.
- Managed large-scale digital marketing projects, including a top-to-bottom website redesign of edu, migration of over 100 websites to a new content management system (Drupal), and training of 250+ web administrators across campus.
- Developed internal communications and training plans for faculty and staff.
Special Events Manager · 2004 – 2009
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN-FLINT
- Established the Office of Special Events to be housed within Institutional Advancement, managed staff, and maintained the unit budget.
- Managed events for Development, Alumni Relations, University Relations, University Outreach, and Offices of the Chancellor, Provost, and Government Relations.
Donor Relations Manager · 2003 – 2004
DETROIT INSTITUTE OF ARTS
- Managed stewardship and donor relations within the Office of Development.
- Coordinated stewardship events, donor receptions, and special exhibits.
- Redesigned flintandgenesee.org using a data-driven content strategy to support business goals and tell the story of the organization and Flint & Genesee as a destination.
- Developed a framework for assessing need, making a case, and building a content strategy around a strategic plan, which I presented at the 2016 HighEdWeb national conference and as a keynote speaker at Collective Conference that year. This October, I will lead a 3-hour workshop, “From Strategic Plan to Content Strategy,” at the 2017 HighEdWeb national conference.
- Developed a marketing and communications plan for the I-69 Thumb Region, aligning more than 30 stakeholder organizations toward defining common goals and measurable outcomes.
- Instituted cross-department communication structures between Marketing and Communications at the Flint & Genesee Chamber to ensure cohesive messaging and strategy.
- Restructured metrics and reporting for the Flint & Genesee Chamber to demonstrate outcomes and progress toward strategic goals.
- Launched UM-Flint Social, a hub for online communities for the University of Michigan-Flint, and #UMFLINT24, an Addy-award-winning 24-hour photo project.
- Created Students@UM-Flint, a student-driven blogging and social media program developed to connect prospective and active university students, and tell the story of student life on the UM-Flint campus.
- Extensive public speaking experience, including presentations at national industry conferences on topics like organizational culture, social media strategy, content strategy, multimedia storytelling, analytics, and cultivation of collaborative teams.
- 2016 graduate of Leadership NOW, a 12-month, comprehensive leadership development program focused on community development.
- Extensive experience in WordPress, Drupal, and other content management systems.
- Well versed in Google Analytics and search engine optimization.
- President, American Advertising Federation of Greater Flint.
- American Advertising Federation
- HighEdWeb Association
- Destination Marketing Association International